Thursday, July 10, 2008

new tuneage

We've got another new one coming down the pipes this week at Karis...

Song Title:
Help My Unbelief

Author(s): Lyrics by John Newton; Music and Chorus lyrics by Clint Wells

Why did I choose it? It is all too easy too neglect an essential aspect of our worship: the expression of doubt and confusion, the mourning over our own hardness of heart. The psalmists did not fear such barren plains, and nor should we. We need songs that give expression to our unbelief and put melody to our pleading with God to increase our faith and open our eyes. Rather than pretending that our faith is flawless and perfect, we can humbly express our doubt as a body and in doing so, proclaim our trust in our Sovereign Lord to overcome our unbelief and deepen our faith. I can't tell you how many conversations I have had with brothers and sisters who say "I can't feel God's presence. I want to repent but I don't even feel that I can!" This is common Christian experience as we wait for the Lord to reveal himself to us and overcome our sin and blindness. Let's not ignore it, but pray with each other as we sing, proclaiming with the father in Mark 9:24 - "I believe; help my unbelief!"

My favorite line:
The second verse -
"I would but can’t repent,
Though I endeavor oft;
This stony heart can ne’er relent
Till Jesus makes it soft.
Till Jesus make it soft."
As we sing this, those whose hearts are hardened will come alongside those whose are softened, having their burdens borne by brothers and sisters and praying together that Jesus would break through and melt the ice. Is that not a beautiful picture?


Why teach it right now: We're going through the Gospel of Luke at Karis, in which we are seeing the stark contrast between the response of faith and the response of unbelief in Jesus' various encouranter. This Sunday we land on the story of John the Baptist and his disciples questioning whether Jesus is truly the Messiah (Luke 7:18-35). Jesus response is clear: look at what he has done. "Blessed is the one who is not offended by me," he say. Much of our unbelief comes as we in our sin take offense at Jesus. He doesn't fit our expectations exactly...he calls us to turn from some tightly held sin...he shows love to someone we'd rather he didn't. What a great opportunity to, in repentance, pray that he would overcome our doubt, overcome our offense and increase our faith and love for him.


Can you hear it? There is a clip here - just scroll downward to the title. and click on the mp3 clip.

No comments: